In 2017, the city trustees established a Household Advisory Board. An advisory board serves on the discretion of the Metropolis Board as a useful resource to supply a particular concentrate on a selected subject. Members of the Household Advisory Board, appointed for three-year phrases, should reveal expertise in dealing with points going through households as a part of the applying and appointment course of.
An advisory board shouldn’t be a fundraising board. You do not have to lift cash. It isn’t an govt board because it doesn’t rent or fireplace anybody. And it’s not a board of labor, because it doesn’t present a direct service to particular person members of the group, corresponding to housing, meals or recommendation.
The only focus of an advisory board is to supply data and recommendation to the Municipal Board to tell choice making. Within the case of the Household Advisory Board, the main target is, you guessed it, on Estes Park households.
For the previous 5 years, the Household Advisory Board has centered totally on the dearth of obtainable, reasonably priced, and acceptable workforce housing, together with the scarcity of kid care in our group.
The housing scenario makes it tough for the workforce to afford housing in Estes Park, and if individuals do have housing, the dearth of licensed childcare amenities, particularly for youngsters start to 2 and a half years of age, makes make it much more tough for low- and middle-income individuals to dwell and work in Estes Park.
Along with workforce housing and childcare, the Household Advisory Board acknowledges that different problems with significance to households in Estes Park embody entry to well being care and psychological well being companies, meals insecurity, homelessness, unemployment, underemployment, substance use issues, household violence, and life cycle transitions.
Household Advisory Board members convey a wealth of expertise and abilities to the desk:
• Sue Yowell is the Govt Director of Estes Park Studying Place. Sue has a doctorate in legislation and has been concerned in secondary schooling for a few years.
• Aleta Kazadi can also be an educator who has lived and taught in Africa for a few years. Aleta established a college within the Congo and is captivated with serving to college students study.
• Jessica Moffit is the Housing Supervisor on the Estes Park Housing Authority. She is on the entrance strains of coping with the workforce housing disaster in Estes Park.
• Nicole White is an Estes Park actual property agent who studied legal justice and has a robust curiosity in variety and fairness.
• Deanna Ferrell is an epidemiologist with a background in public well being.
• Rut Miller, initially from Paraguay, is a educated midwife. She is the Program Director on the Estes Valley Household Funding Heart for Little one Success (EVICS).
• Nancy Almond is a grant author with a few years of expertise in baby care advocacy work within the Estes Valley.
• Patti Brown is the president of the Household Advisory Board. Patti is a licensed medical social employee with a few years of expertise in hospitals, hospice, and psychological well being care.
• Rick Life, a captain with the Estes Park Police Division who brings a primary responder’s perspective to household crises, additionally participates in Household Advisory Board conferences.
• Jason Damweber, Deputy Metropolis Supervisor, serves because the workers liaison with the Household Advisory Board. He has expertise as an educator in a Title I college and has labored on many reasonably priced housing tasks. He’s additionally on the Govt Committee of the Estes Park Nonprofit Useful resource Heart and the United Approach of Larimer County Board.
• Cindy Younglund is the Metropolis Council Liaison with the Household Advisory Board. Administrator Younglund, who was born and raised in Estes Park, labored domestically within the nursing area earlier than opening the Wildwood Inn in 1995. She and her husband raised eight youngsters, all of whom attended the Estes Park college system. . Along with the Metropolis Board, she has served on the boards of the Estes Park Chamber of Commerce and the Estes Space Lodging Affiliation.
Because the Household Advisory Board seems to be at problems with significance to households in Estes, we glance by two principal lenses: what assets and companies are working nicely, and what the obstacles and gaps in companies are.
Over the summer time, two members of the Household Advisory Board reviewed the City’s on-line useful resource information and in contrast it to 2 different group useful resource guides. The Household Advisory Board then beneficial to the City that they hyperlink to Estes Park Faculty’s on-line useful resource information. If you have not seen it, try https://websites.google.com/psdr3.k12.co.us/community-resources/dwelling.
This fall, the Household Advisory Board plans to carry a collection of “listening classes” the place they’ll hear from group members about household life in Estes Park. Keep tuned for extra data when it turns into out there.
The Household Advisory Board seeks to remain abreast of points necessary to households in Estes Park as a way to present data to the City Trustees as they weigh the political and financial selections of the city authorities.
There are at present two vacancies on the Household Advisory Board. If you need to use, please apply at www.estes.org/volunteering.